Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cranky baby = diet FAIL

So, I haven't posted in a few days...well, several days actually. Charlie and I had a rough couple of days with crankiness. He's actually been sleeping better at night! It was like we hadn't just spent the last 11 weeks up every hour and a half, and all of the sudden we're up once a night. I really, really, really don't want to jinx myself with this, so I'm going to stop bragging about it now. :) But during the day, my poor little baby has been a cranky mess, just whiny and fussing and crying. He didn't always want to be held, but he didn't want to be put down. He wasn't hungry or wet. He wanted to sleep, but fought it the whole day. I basically spent those days walking the floors, wearing him in the Moby wrap, and just trying to comfort him. And that just really seems to make everything else in life even more difficult, if not impossible. I know that this is common, but I am definitely one of those people who, if I mess up once during the day, I'm done trying for the day. I think that's why I usually stick with extremely restrictive diets. I have a hard time limiting myself if I start at all. It's all or nothing...Go big or go home dude. :) So, towards the end of last week I pretty much failed miserably. I am convinced that I will do better this week, especially with my food choices. I am also convinced that I can still meet my weight loss goal of 10 pounds by Aug. 18...I just don't want to have to keep starting over every week. I've got to figure this thing out.

I did get some exercise in though, especially in the mornings. Afternoons were a totally different story since that is when the majority of the cranky happened. My food choices were made on the fly, and made with one hand only. So, there was no slicing of cucumbers or  mixing marinades for chicken or spreading of peanut butter on apples... I grabbed something that was easy to manage with one hand while I held Charlie in the other, usually something not very healthy. I also went out to eat a couple more times than planned because of the cranky and because, like I said in an earlier post, my summer lunch days are numbered.

This week I have done no planning for meals. I'm hoping to write them down as they happen, like a food journal. The planning was not working for me and made me feel like even more of a failure when I couldn't stick to the plan. When school starts back, a plan will be essential and will be easier to follow because I'll be making lunches and planning for dinners the night before. For now, though, I'll just keep trying to make healthy food choices, get exercise, and work on being a happier person.

We had a fun afternoon on Saturday at Deep Creek in Bryson City for our sweet nephew Eli's 3rd birthday! Even though it was as hot as blue blazes, we had a good time seeing that sweet pumpkin! And Charlie got to take his first dip in Deep Creek! :) We are already looking forward to numerous camping and tubing trips with our sweet boy.

Charlie's first dip in Deep Creek



Charlie has also discovered the joy of his fingers and of exploring things with his mouth! I'm convinced he's very advanced for his age! ;)

Mmmmm...fingers



What exactly does this bunny rattle taste like??



Here are a few of my goals for the week:
1. Do physical activity 7 times.
2. Make healthier food choices, even when eating out.
3. Don't give up for several days because of one bad day.
4. Take Charlie for his 3 month pictures.
5. Take Charlie to Jae's baby shower.
6. Go on a date with the hubs, maybe Bele Chere?

No comments:

Post a Comment