Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Let's do this thing...

Hello.  My name is Jennifer Greene, but almost everyone I know still calls me JenLamb...like all one word. JenLamb.  :) I'm 28 years old, soon to be 29 (way too close to the big 3-0). I am a teacher, not just any teacher, a KINDERGARTEN teacher. Right now, I am not working because we are on summer break. However, I've actually not been working since well into April because I was out on maternity leave. This means that I'll have been out of the working routine for 4 months, much longer than I've ever been able to stand before! I'm a worker by nature. I love routine and I love having a job. I have a wonderful husband who works very hard, drives very far, and is making himself better for our family all the time. We've recently become parents. It is the most exhausting, nerve-wracking, captivating, and wonderful thing we have ever done. We are learning every day to trust our instincts as parents and talk constantly about the parents we want to be for our son, Charlie. (By the way, he's pretty much the cutest thing ever!) So I guess this leads me to exactly why I've started this blog.  To be the best parent I can be, to be the parent that my sweet baby deserves, I have to be happy...happy with myself as a person, happy with myself as a wife, happy with myself as a mother, happy with my choices for myself and my family. Right now, I'm not very happy. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and my family and my job and my baby boy. But I'm in a rut...I'm overweight again (for the bazillionth time in my life), and it just makes me a generally less happy person. It makes me overly sensitive and resentful.  It makes me grumpy and less motivated to do anything about it. It's a vicious cycle - the more overweight I become, the less happy I am, the less I want to do anything about it b/c I don't feel like it, and then the more overweight I become...over and over and over again.

I want to be a good parent. It's all I can think about lately.  I guess that's understandable since I've only recently become a parent, right? To me, a good parent is a good role-model, patient, active, positive, and healthy... I want to show Charlie how to make healthy food choices. I want to show him what it means to live an active lifestyle, hike, walk, swim, play sports, etc. I want him to live a healthy life because of me, because of what I've shown him, because of what I've taught him. I want to be the example of the kind of person I hope he becomes. I just want to be a good mother.

I'm hoping that by blogging about my food choices, my workouts/daily activities, and my plans to be a better mother for my Charlie boy, that I'll be honest and be held accountable and be encouraged to continue. I've never done this blog thing before, so forgive me for rambling.


Ok, so here are my overall goals.

1. Be a good mother.
2. Be a happier person.
3. Be a good wife.
4. Be an enthusiastic teacher for my sweet students.

To achieve these goals I've got to make some changes in my life.
I need to be more active.
I need to make healthier food choices.
I need to have a routine.

So, in the next few days I'll be working on a plan, not just a plan to lose weight (although that's a major objective) but a plan to live a healthier active lifestyle as a mother.

Let's do this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment